Professor Konrad Domig of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) was awarded the biennial B.R.A.I.N. award on the second day of the 2018 World Nutrition Forum.
The award selection committee cited his ongoing lifetime achievement in the field of research in food and feed safety, with a strong focus on antibiotic resistance.
On the final day of the scientific conference at the 2018 World Nutrition Forum, Dr Eva Binder, Chief Research Officer at Erber Group, Dr Gerd Schatzmayr, Research Director at BIOMIN Research Center and Franz Waxenecker, Vice President for Development and Innovation at BIOMIN, presented Dr Domig with the B.R.A.I.N. award and a check for $10,000.
Established in 2006, the BIOMIN Research and Innovation Network (B.R.A.I.N.) Award seeks to foster ground-breaking innovation relating to livestock health and nutrition. It is awarded biennially at the World Nutrition Forum hosted by BIOMIN.
“Dr Domig is a very positive, knowledgeable and supportive person. I appreciate the encouragement and guidance he provided during my PhD work that allowed me to learn and grow,” said Nataliya Roth, Development Scientist at BIOMIN.
Dr Domig’s achievement and longstanding work with BIOMIN has earned him esteem throughout the research and development functions of BIOMIN, seated at the BIOMIN Research Center in Tulln, Austria. He has also supervised the thesis work of several BIOMIN scientists.
“I have had the pleasure of knowing Dr Domig for eight years. When I started my PhD at BOKU in 2011, Konrad accepted me into his lab and introduced me to microbial ecology,” commented Mahdi Ghanbari, Scientist at BIOMIN.
“He has challenged me to ask scientifically-driven questions, draw connections between my research and the “bigger scientific picture”, and explore new concepts and methodology, which is how I ended up becoming a computation biologist. His assistance, support, and advice have not only improved my research, but also made me a stronger, well-rounded scientist,” Dr Ghanbari added.
Past B.R.A.I.N. Award winners include:
- Dr Rudolf Krska, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Austria – 2016
- Dr Isabelle Oswald, French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA) – 2014
- Dr David J. Caldwell, Texas A&M, United States – 2012
- Dr Todd Applegate, University of Georgia, United States – 2010
- Dr Kostas Mountzouris, University of Athens, Greece – 2008
Biography of Priv.-Doz. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.nat.techn Konrad Domig
- Head of the Food Microbiology Laboratory at the Institute of Food Science at the Department of Food Science and Technology at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU).
- He has penned over 70 publications in internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals.
- Awarded several national and international prizes for research and innovation topics.
- Editorial board member of the International Journal of Food Microbiology
- Member of the K1 Center Austrian Competence Centre for Feed and Food Quality, Safety and Innovation (FFoQSI).